Saturday 19 July 2014

Unplugging

Unplugging

Before you become too entranced with gorgeous gadgets and mesmerizing video displays, let me remind you that information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom, and wisdom is not foresight. Each grows out of the other, and we need them all. -Arthur C. Clark
I refuel by unplugging
I will have special moments, hours, or even a day when I disconnect from the world, when I unplug. I will not respond to each and every demand, each and every communication just because I can. Technology keeps me connected to absolutely everything twenty-four seven, but sometimes it just has me going in endless, unnecessary, and energy-draining circles. I need times of intentional unplugging, times when I can just relax and forget about everything, when I can drop down into nothing and nowhere. When I can just be, wander around my day with no particular purpose, ease up and unwind; when I can stay home. I need these times to shake loose of the bonds of the daily world, to not worry about who I need to contact and what I should say, to just veg out, to be unconstructive, to meander around with no particular agenda. I love it, lying around, doing as I please, hanging out, doing lots of nothing in particular or, particularly, a lot of nothing. I need to stop skimming the surface, scrolling down endless pages of whatever; I need time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment