Saturday 19 July 2014

Lies

Lies

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." - Frederick Nietzche
I know if a lie is spoken loudly enough, often enough, and with enough ceremony and ritual, people will believe it. I identify with this statement: "I said I was not alcoholic because I did not drink every day, or in the mornings, or all day. Besides, I was too young!" As a practicing alcoholic, people believed me when I lied. Many people still believe this lie about themselves. Spirituality requires that I not only confront the lies in other people but also those in myself. Usually, if I am angry at the remarks of others, it is because they remind me of myself. Today I seek not to condemn but to understand.
May I continue to learn about myself from the criticism I direct at others.

No comments:

Post a Comment