Saturday 19 July 2014

Dealing with My Stressing, Stressed Out Reactions

Dealing with My Stressing, Stressed Out Reactions

Not all addictions are rooted in abuse or trauma, but I do believe they can all be traced to painful experience. A hurt is at the centre of all addictive behaviours. It is present in the gambler, the Internet addict, the compulsive shopper and the workaholic. The wound may not be as deep and the ache not as excruciating, and it may even be entirely hidden-but it's there. The effects of early stress or adverse experiences directly shape both the psychology and the neurobiology of addiction in the brain. -Gabor Mate, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction
I will obsess less and relax, breathe, and step back more
Oftentimes it isn't the actual events, situations, and people in my life that are my biggest problem when it comes to feeling stressed out. Rather it's what I do with a stressful situation within myself that gives me trouble. If I overreact on an emotional and mental level to something that someone else has done or said, or to a circumstance in my life, my stress gets compounded. I obsess in a way that can make feelings seem overwhelming and unmanageable, and I pound that stress straight into my body. I undermine myself-I take away my own voice and vitality. Today, I will be honest with myself about the ways in which I make my own stressors worse because of what I do with them in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment