Saturday 19 July 2014

The Purpose of Amends

The Purpose of Amends

Saying sorry doesn't always mean you admit that you're wrong, it only means that you value your relationship more than your pride. -Nishan Panwar
Amends keep the goodness of a relationship alive
When I make a true amends or accept a true amends from someone else, I am able to hold what is still of value of a relationship. We are both saying, "This thing we have is worth keeping." When someone makes an amends to me they are giving me what I need to keep the good alive. Without an amends, without this taking of responsibility, I am left with a mistrust, wondering if they realize the power of their own behavior. I can't right the relationship inside of me. They deprive me of something I am owed, a recognition. They are not valuing the relationship enough to humble themselves and ask for my forgiveness. When I don't make an amends that I owe, this is what I do to someone else. I do not give them back the part of my heart, the part of my goodness that I took away by my hurtful behavior. I don't give them a reason to trust my love. I don't give either of us another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment