Saturday 19 July 2014

Neglect

Neglect

Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat. -Mother Teresa
I can feel and take in love, I can see myself
I felt forgotten about in my alcoholic home. There just wasn't enough cohesion to hold my place intact. Everything was always fraying at the edges and I even wondered if I was loved. I personalized the lack of attention, imagining that something I had done or was doing was driving people and the attention I longed for away from me. I tried to correct myself, give more, work harder, be nicer but nothing worked. In fact, the squeaky wheels seemed to get more attention than I did. Being neglected was a powerful form of abuse. It left no obvious marks, but I bled on the inside. At least other forms of abuse are obvious, something to point to, something to feel like an actual victim over. At least I would have known I was there. But withheld love is a worse pain. It left me floating in space, wondering if I was there, shouting out into thin air but making no sound. Today I know that the love that was withheld from me was not personal. It was nothing I did or could have undone. It was part of a family that was dying on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment