Saturday 19 July 2014

Giving

Giving

No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave. -Calvin Coolidge
I will give openly and happily or not call it giving
Today I will try giving for its own sake, with no particular motive, recognizing that giving and receiving are somehow the same channel. When the pipe is open, things flow in both directions simultaneously. Giving with an open heart is its own reward. But why is it so hard? First of all, I often give because I want something back, I give in order to get. Then I feel used and ripped off when I don't get it. Second, I sometimes give for approval or closeness; then I feel rejected and let down if my giving doesn't achieve that. And third, I sometimes give from an empty place, I give when I don't want to. Perhaps then I should just step back and preserve my energy, understanding that it's okay to "give" because it's part of what needs to happen that day-but I won't confuse that with open handed giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment