Sunday 9 February 2014

Bridges Of Madison County

 NEYTIRI: This kind of certainty comes but once
 in a lifetime.
 
 Come home, if only, for more eggs or should we
 just fuck on the linoleum one last time?
 
----------------------------------------------- 
 
 
LAWYER
 Your mother left explicit instructions that she wished to be
 cremated. 
 
LAWYER
 Well, she was very specific. She wanted her ashes to be thrown
 over
 Roseman Bridge. 
 
CAROLYN
 "-- going over and over in my mind every detail, every moment
 of our time together and I ask myself, "What happened to me in
 Madison County?" I struggle to put it together in a way that
 allows me to continue knowing we're on separate roads. 
But then I look through the lens of my camera, and you're there. I start to write an article and I find myself writing it
 to you. It's clear to me now we have been moving 
towards each other, towards those four days, all our
lives -- 
 
CAROLYN
 Well, he just gets on about how if mama ever needed him, she
 could find him through the National Geographic magazine.
 He as a photographer. He promises not to write again. Then
 all it says is...
  (beat)
 I love you... Robert.
 
 
CAROLYN
 That would be some trick. He's already dead. That's what this
 other letter is.  (takes letter and   skims) From his attorney. 
He left most of his things to mama and requested...
  (she stops)

  MICHAEL
 What?

  CAROLYN
 That he be cremated and his ashes thrown on Roseman Bridge.
 
CAROLYN
 I can't believe she never told me? We spoke at least once
 a week. How could she do that? 
 
CAROLYN
 "January, 1987. Dear Carolyn. I hope you're reading this with
 Michael. I'm sure he wouldn't be able to read it by himself and
 he'll need some help understanding all this,
 especially the parts about me having sex..."
 
CAROLYN (cont'd)
 "First, and most of all, I love you both very much and although
 I feel fine, I thought it was time to put my affairs, excuse
 that word, in order."

  MICHAEL
 I can't believe she's making jokes.

  CAROLYN
Sshhh. "After going through the safety deposit box, I'm sure
you'll find you're way to this letter. It's hard to write this to 
my own children. I could let this die with the rest of me,
 I suppose.
  (cont'd)
 But as one gets older, one fears subside. What becomes more
 and more important is to be known -- known for all that you
 were during this brief stay. Row said it seems to me to leave 
this earth without those you love the most ever really knowing
 who you were. It's easy for a mother to love her children no
 matter what -- it's something that just happens. I don't know if
 it's as simple for children. You're all so busy being angry at us
 for raising you wrong. But I thought it was important to give
 you that chance. To give you the opportunity to love me for
 all that I was..."

Carolyn and Michael look to each other like two school
children about to take a difficult exam. They continue.

  CAROLYN (cont'd)
 "His name was Robert Kincaid. He was a photographer and he
 was here in 1965 shooting an article for National Geographic on
 the covered bridges of Madison County. Remember when we
 got that issue and looked at those bridges we'd seen for years
 but never noticed? How we felt like celebrities? Remember
 when we started getting the subscription?

They don't remember.

  CAROLYN (cont'd)
 I don't want you to be angry with him. I hope after you know
 the whole story, you might even think well of him. Even grateful.

  MICHAEL
 Grateful!?

  CAROLYN
  (reads)
 "... It's all there in the three notebooks. Read them in order.
 If you don't want to, I suppose that's okay too. But in that case I
 want you to know something -- I never stopped loving your
 father. He was a very good man. It's just that my love for
 Robert was different. He brought out something in me no one
 had ever brought out before, or since. He made me feel
 like a woman in a way few women, maybe more, ever
 experience..."
 
CAROLYN
  (reads)
 "I suppose his coming into my life was, in many ways,
 prepared for weeks, maybe even months before. There
 was a restlessness I feeling. Out of the blue and for no
 apparent reason. There's nothing more frightening to a
 woman whose been settled down for almost twenty
 years than to suddenly feel unsettled. I don't know when
 it started ... I do remember one night in particular, a
 little over a week before Robert arrived..."
 
 
FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 "The following week was the Illinos State Fair. The two of you
 were going with dad to exhibit Carolyn's prize steer. It was the
 Sunday night you left. I know it sounds awful but I couldn't wait
 for you all to leave. You were going to be gone until Friday.
 Four days...
  (beat)
 Just four days..."
 
FRANCESCA
 No. I was just going to have some (muffins) iced tea then
 split the atom, but that can wait. 
 (he smiles)
 I just have to get my shoes. 
 
 
ROBERT
 Oh, yeah. Actually, I had an assignment in Greece and I had to
 go through Bari to get the boat at Brindisi. But it looked so
 pretty I got off and stayed for a few days. Breathtaking country.

Francesca is overcome by the idea of such freedom.

  FRANCESCA
 You just... got off the train because it looked pretty?
 
 
 
ROBERT
 Like one?

Francesca, who doesn't usually smoke, accepts.

  FRANCESCA
 Sure.
 
 
ROBERT
 Must be nice having kids.

Francesca looks at him and FANTASIZES SAYING:

FANTASY:

FRANCESCA
 Not any more. It's awful. They're awful. I can't stand them.

END OF FANTASY:
 
 
ROBERT
 Everything does. One of the laws of nature. People are always
 so afraid of change. But if you look at it like it's something you
 can count on happening, it's actually a comfort. Not many
 things you can count on for sure.

  FRANCESCA
 I guess. Except I'm one of the people it frightens.

  ROBERT
 I doubt that.

  FRANCESCA
 Why?

  ROBERT
 Italy to Iowa? I'd call that a change.
 
 
FRANCESCA
  (catching herself)
 No. I mean yes, he's clean but he's also other things. He's a
 very hard worker. Very honest. Very caring. Gentle. Good
 father.

  ROBERT
 And clean.

  FRANCESCA
 Yes. Very clean.
 
ROBERT
 So you must like Iowa, I guess.

Francesca looks at him. She wants to tell the truth, but holds
 back.

  FRANCESCA
 It's... uh... uh...

She stops. Robert smiles.

  ROBERT
 Go ahead. I won't tell anyone.

Surprised, Francesca looks at him oddly -- as if he already
knows and is giving her permission.

  FRANCESCA
 It's...
  (tries again)
 I...
  (finally)
 I hate it!

She covers her mouth, like a reflex -- worried someone heard.
Robert just smiles and nods.

Francesca is so taken by his understanding and acceptance,
she lets the flood gates open, speaking faster than her mind
can keep up --

  FRANCESCA (cont'd)
  (without a pause)
 I hate it! I hate it! I HATE IT! I hate the corn and the dust and
 the town and the cows and that SMELL that you love! I hate the
 people. Everybody knows everybody's business, I mean it's nice
 now and then, they're always there to help out, but that's just it,
 it's like they're waiting for something awful to happen to help out
 and when nothing awful is happening, then they just sit around and
 talk about what is happening which is none of their business. I want 
to kill them sometimes for how cruel they can be --

Camera begins slowly moving out to a wider angle...

  FRANCESCA (cont'd)
 -- everybody's talking about poor Mrs. Delaney whose husband
 is having an affair with that Redfield woman and "isn't it a
 shame," and "isn't it awful," and the truth is THEY'RE LOVING IT!
 Poor woman can't even be cheated on without the grocery man
 knowing about it -- no one respects anyone's privacy. You're
 not even safe in your own home! They think they can just walk
 right into your house because they BAKED you something. It's
 like they have a secret password and YOU CAN'T KEEP THEM
 OUT! I live in fear of that door opening and having a peach
 cobbler shoved at me...
 
 
 
ROBERT
 Why did you stop?

  FRANCESCA
 My children. And Richard didn't like my working.
 
 
 
ROBERT
 We're not doing anything wrong, do you.

Francesca freezes. He has read her mind again.

  ROBERT (cont'd)
  (smiles)
 Nothing you can't tell your children about.
 
 
FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 "We sat sipping brandy. I thought if anybody walked through
 the door now there'd be no explaining it. But I didn't care. And
 I loved that I didn't care. I almost wanted it to happen. Then
 there'd be no turning back. I wanted to be like him. I lived this
 life of his. We talked about his wife and I was jealous -- not of
 her -- but of his leaving. His fearlessness. He knew what he 
wanted. How did he do that.
 
FRANCESCA
 Do you mind if I... ask you why you got divorced?

  ROBERT
 Not at all. I wasn't around much... So why did I get married?
 Well, I thought it was a good idea at the time. Have a home
 base. Roots. You can get lost moving around so much.

  FRANCESCA
 So what happened?

  ROBERT
 I never got lost. For some reason, I'm more at home
 everywhere than at one place. So I decided I'll think of myself
 as some kind of world citizen. I belong everywhere and nowhere.
 I'm kin to everyone, and no one in particular. See, once you get
 into the habit of not needing anyone, it's kind of hard to break.

  FRANCESCA
 You must get lonely at times.

  ROBERT
 Never touch the stuff. I've got friends all over the world. Good
 friends I can see when I want, if I want.

  FRANCESCA
 Woman friends, too?

  ROBERT
 I'm a loner, I'm not a monk.

Francesca averts her eyes, before continuing her investigation.

  FRANCESCA
 You really don't need anyone?

  ROBERT
 No, I think I need everyone! I love people. I want to meet them
 all! I just think there are too many out there saying "This is mine.
" or "She's mine." Too many lines have been drawn. World's
 breaking apart because of man's weakness for some
 testosterone conquests over territory and power and people. He
 wants control over what deep down he knows he has no control
 over whatsoever and it scares him silly.

  FRANCESCA
 Why doesn't it scare you?

  ROBERT
 I embrace Mystery. I don't know what's coming. And I don't
 mind.

  FRANCESCA
 Do you ever regret it? The divorce, I mean.

  ROBERT
 No.

  FRANCESCA
 Do you ever regret not having a family?

  ROBERT
 Not everybody's supposed to have a family.

  FRANCESCA
 But -- how can you just live for what you want? What about
 other people?

  ROBERT
 I told you, I love other people.

  FRANCESCA
 But no one in particular.

  ROBERT
 No. But I love them just the same.

  FRANCESCA
 But it's not the same.

  ROBERT
 That's not what you're saying. I know it's not the same. What
 you're saying is, it's not as good. Or it's not as normal or proper.

  FRANCESCA
 No, I'm just saying --

  ROBERT
  (interrupting)
 I'm a little sick of this American Family Ethic everyone seems to
 be hypnotized by in this country. I guess you think I'm just some
 poor displaced soul doomed to roam the earth without a
 self-cleaning oven and home movie.

  FRANCESCA
  (irritated)
 Just because someone chooses to settle down and have a family
 doesn't necessarily mean they're hypnotized. Just because I've
 never seen a gazelle stampede doesn't mean I'm asleep in the
 world.

  ROBERT
 Do you want to leave your husband?

Francesca is completely stunned and thrown off guard.

  FRANCESCA
 No. Of course not.
  (rising, upset)

Beat. Awkward silence. Suddenly there is tension between them.

  ROBERT
 My mistake. I apologize.

  FRANCESCA
 What made you ask such a question?

  ROBERT
 I thought that's what we were doing -- asking questions.

  FRANCESCA
  (defensive)
 I thought we were just having a conversation. You seem to be
 reading all this meaning into it. Meanings I must be too simple
 to, uh... interpret or something.

  ROBERT
 I already apologized. 
 
FRANCESCA
 Listen, I'm sorry I --

  ROBERT
 No, no. Forgive me. I made a mistake.
 It was an inappropriate thing to ask.

  FRANCESCA
  (shrugs it off, then:)
 ... I feel like something's been spoiled now.

Robert smiles and crosses to her. He takes her hand into both
his hands. 
 
 
ROBERT
 It's been a perfect evening. Just the way it is. Thank you.

Francesca smiles. The possibility of a kiss hangs in the air
 between them until Robert turns to get his film out of the
fridge. As he exits through the screen door, he stops.

  ROBERT (cont'd)
 One thing though -- don't kid yourself, Francesca. You're
 anything but a simple woman. 
 
 
A note sits before her as well. On it reads: "Robert. Again,
I'm sorry for last night. Would you like supper again tonight
after you're finished. I'd like it very much if I were one of
those good friends you have in the world. Anytime is fine --
Francesca... P.S. By the way, "Of what I call God and Fools
call Nature" was..." She writes the name BROWNING.
 
 
ROBERT
  (w/difficulty)
 Listen, don't take this the wrong way but, I'm wondering if this is such a
 good idea.

Francesca's heart sinks.

  FRANCESCA
 Oh.

  ROBERT
 I uh... I had lunch in town today. Happened to cross paths with
 "that Redfield woman." I apologize. I thought you were
 half-joking about that.

  FRANCESCA
 Oh. I guess you got the whole story.

  ROBERT
 The cashier at the general store was very dangerous.

  FRANCESCA
 I think he's running for town crier next year.

  ROBERT
 I now know more about their affair than I remember about my
 marriage.  (seriously) Francesca, the last thing I want to do is
 put you in any kind of situation that would... even though we
 know it's just -- I mean, it's nothing like that, but if anybody
 saw us or...
 (can't finish)

  FRANCESCA
  (disappointed)
 I understand.
  (touched)
 That's very kind of you.

Silence. Both want to meet. Both experience the idea of not
seeing each other even again in this brief moment. Someone
has to say something to save it -- but who will it be?

  FRANCESCA (cont'd)
 Robert?

  ROBERT
 Yeah?

  FRANCESCA
 I want you to come. 
 
 
FRANCESCA (cont'd)
 Huh-huh. Nothing, just making myself some dinner... No what?
... Oh... I heard about him. Yeah, I hear he's some kind of
 photographer.
  (Robert smiles)
 No, I didn't... Huh-huh... Hippie? I don't know, is that what
 hippies look like?...

Robert steps closer to her, purposely reaching across her
body for a napkin.

  FRANCESCA (cont'd)
 Oh he is, huh? Well, don't tell Floyd, he'll be out with a shotgun...

She notices a crumb on Robert's mouth and wipes it off.
Robert takes her hand and holds it, lowering it to his side.

  FRANCESCA (cont'd)
 Well, listen, I have a pot boiling. I've got to go... No, they don't
 get home until Friday morning... Well, maybe I'll give you a call.
 Okay. Bye. 
 
ROBERT (cont'd)
 If you want me to stop, tell me how.

He brushes his cheek and face softly against hers. Francesca
rubs hers against him. She can barely breathe.

  ROBERT (cont'd)
 Francesca, I won't be sorry. I won't apologize for this.

  FRANCESCA
 Nobody's asking you to.
 
 
ROBERT
 Are you comfortable?
  (she nods)
 Do you... want to move to the
 bedroom?

  FRANCESCA
 No. I can't. Not yet.

She can't bring herself to go into her husband bed.
 
 
 
ROBERT (cont'd)
 You think too much, you know that?

  FRANCESCA
 I just feel like I'm getting a little ... out of control that's all. It's
 kind of frightening.

  ROBERT
 Why?

  FRANCESCA
 Why!? Because, I'm having thoughts I hardly know what to do
 with. I... can't seem to... stop them.

 ROBERT
 Nobody's asking you to.
 
 
MICHAEL
 Everything was during Betty. God we were so young. Why did
 we think we had to do it all so fast? I've never cheated on Betty.
 Not once we were married, I mean.

  CAROLYN
 Did we want to?

  MICHAEL
 Only about a thousand times. What do I do now? "What's good
 enough for mom is good enough for me?"

  CAROLYN
  (pissed off)
 What gets me is I'm 46 years old. I've been in this
 crummy fucking marriage -

  MICHAEL
 Carolyn!

  CAROLYN
  (ignores him)
 -- for over twenty years because that's what I was taught
 -- you stick with it! Normal people don't get divorced. I
 can't remember the last time my husband made love to
 me so intensely that he transported me to Europe, for
 Christ's sake -- quite frankly, I don't think he ever did!
 And now I find out in between bake sales, my mother
 was Anais Nin!

  MICHAEL
 What about me! I feel really weird. Like she cheated on me, not
 dad. Isn't that sick? I don't mean I wanted to sleep with her or
 anything but -- ya know -- being the only son. You're sort of
 made to feel like you're the prince of the kingdom, ya know?
 And in the back of your mind, you kind of think your mother
 doesn't need sex anymore because she has you.

  CAROLYN
 You're right -- that is sick.
 
They drink.

  MICHAEL
 If she was so unhappy, why didn't she
 leave?
 
 
MICHAEL (cont'd)
 What paragraph were you up to?

  CAROLYN
  (casually)
 She just made him perform oral sex on the porch.

Michael freezes. He loses his nerve. Carolyn helps.

  CAROLYN (cont'd)
 Go ahead, Michael. You've got to do this. Just think, "Today I
 am a man."

Michael nods and takes another swig. He reads:

  MICHAEL
 "I'd never had a man make love to me that way before."
  (stops)
 Oh Jesus.
  (continues)
 "I couldn't believe the feelings bursting inside of me. As if I had
 opened some forbidden Pandora's box."

Camera begins to move to wide angle as Francesca takes over.

  FRANCESCA
 "It seems, thinking about it now, that in those few days I
 lived a completely different life as a completely different
 woman. What was recognizable as me before Robert was
 gone. We decided to spend Wednesday away from Winterset.
 Away from Madison County. Away from pastures and bridges
 and people too familiar and reminders too painful. We let the
 day take us where it wanted..." 
 
FRANCESCA
 What were you like when you were younger?

  ROBERT
  (smiles)
 Trouble. Why?

  FRANCESCA
  (laughs)
 I just wondered. Why were you trouble?

  ROBERT
 I had a temper.
 
 
ROBERT
 I can't do this, honey.

  FRANCESCA
 What?

  ROBERT
 Try and live a lifetime before Friday. Cram it all in.
  (shakes his head)
 
 
 
FRANCESCA
 Good. More coffee?
  (he nods, she pours)
 Robert, I hope you don't mind my asking, but I feel like I should.

  ROBERT
 What?

  FRANCESCA
 Well, these... women friends of yours... all over the world. How
 does it work? Do you see some of them again? Do you forget
 others? Do you write them now and then? How do you manage it?

Her facetiousness startles Robert.

  ROBERT
 I... What do you want?

  FRANCESCA
 Well, I just want to know the procedure. I don't want to upset
 your routine. Do you want any jam?

  ROBERT
  (insulted)
 Routine! I don't have a routine. And if you think that's what this
 is -

  FRANCESCA
 Well, what is this?

  ROBERT
  (upset)
 Well, why is that up to me? You're the one who's married. You
 told me you have no intention of leaving your husband.

  FRANCESCA
 To do what? Be with someone who needs everyone and no one
 in particular? I mean, what would be the point. Would you pass
 the butter?

  ROBERT
 I was honest with you. I told you who
 I was.

  FRANCESCA
 Yes. Absolutely. You have this habit of not needing and that it's
 hard to break. I understand. 
(beat)
 Of course, in that case, why sleep -- you don't need rest or for
 that matter eat, you don't need food.

She takes his plate away from him, rises and throws it into
the sink.

  ROBERT
 What are you doing?

  FRANCESCA
  (sarcastic)
 Gee, I don't know. I guess I'm not cut out to be a World Citizen
 who experiences everything and nothing at the same time.

  ROBERT
 How do you know what I experience?

  FRANCESCA
  (angry)
 I know you! What can this possibly mean to anyone who doesn't
 "need" meaning -
  (mocking)
 "Who goes with the Mystery" -- who pretends he isn't scared to
 death.

  ROBERT
 Stop it!

  FRANCESCA
 You have no idea what you've done to me, do you? And after you
 leave, I'm going to have to wonder for the rest of my life what
 happened here. If anything happened at all! And I'll have to
 wonder if you find yourself in some... housewife's kitchen in
 Romania if you'll sit there and tell her about your world of good
 friends and secretly include me in that group.

  ROBERT
 What do you want me to say?

  FRANCESCA
  (nonchantly)
 I don't want you to say anything. I don't need you to say
 anything.

Robert rises, knocking his chair aside.

  ROBERT
 STOP IT!

  FRANCESCA
 Fine. More eggs or should we just fuck on the linoleum
 one last time?

  ROBERT
  (grabs her)
 I told you! I won't apologize for who I am.

  FRANCESCA
 No one's asking you to!

  ROBERT
 I won't be made to feel like I've done something wrong.

  FRANCESCA
  (angry)
 You won't be made to feel! Period. You've carved out this little
 part for yourself in the world where you get to be a voyeur, a
 hermit and a lover whenever you feel like it and the rest of us
 are just supposed to feel so incredibly grateful for the brief time
 you've touched our lives!
 Well, go to hell! It isn't human not to feel lonely -- it isn't human
 not to afraid! You're a hypocrite and you're a phony!

  ROBERT
  (cries out)
 I DON'T WANT TO NEED YOU!

  FRANCESCA
 WHY?

  ROBERT
 BECAUSE I CAN'T HAVE YOU!

  FRANCESCA
 WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO
 WITH IT?

He throws a cup at the wall. It breaks apart. Covering his
face, Robert turns away from her as he holds onto the sink.
Francesca reaches for him but he pulls away, embarrassed.

  FRANCESCA (cont'd)
  (softly)
 Don't you see, I've got to know the truth, Robert. I've got to
 know the truth or I'll go crazy. Either way. Just tell me. But I
 can't act like this is enough because it has to be. I can't pretend
 I don't feel what I feel because it's over tomorrow.

Robert, keeping his face from her, tries to tell her:

  ROBERT
 If I've done anything to make you think that what's
 happened between us is nothing new for me -- is some
 routine -- then I do apologize.

  FRANCESCA
 What makes it different, Robert?

Robert turns to face her. He is so hopelessly in love he can
hardly find the words. His eyes fill up with tears.

  ROBERT
 Because... if I even think about tomorrow -- if I...
  (voice cracks) even think about leaving here without
 you -- I'm not sure I can... that I -
  (he shakes his head)

He can't even finish. He kneels down before her wrapping his
arms around her and burying his face into her body. Francesca
starts to cry -- out of happiness, out of pain -- holding onto
him as if for dear life.

  FRANCESCA
 Oh God... what are we going to do?

She kisses him -- over and over, not wanting to be even an
inch apart. As if any space between them might separate them
forever.
 
ROBERT
 Come with me.

Francesca knew he was going to say this. Either answer she
gives frightens her.

  FRANCESCA
 Hold me.
 
ROBERT
 Tell me why you're not coming with me?

Francesca stops pretending to eat. She looks at him, having
forgotten how well he can read her.

  FRANCESCA
 No matter how I keep turning it around in my mind -- it doesn't
 seem like the right thing.

  ROBERT
 For who?

  FRANCESCA
 For anyone. They'll never be able to live through the talk.
 Richard will never be able to. He doesn't deserve that. He
 hasn't hurt anyone in his life.

  ROBERT
  (getting aggressive)
 Then he can move! People move!

  FRANCESCA
 His family's lived for almost a hundred years. Richard doesn't
 know how to live anywhere else. And the kids...

  ROBERT
 The kids are grown! They don't need you anymore. You told me
 that. They hardly talk to you.

  FRANCESCA
 No, they don't say much. But Carolyn's 16. She's just about to
 find out about all this for herself -- she's going to fall in love,
 she's going to try and figure out how to build a life with someone.
 If I leave what does that say to her?

  ROBERT
 What about us? What about me?

  FRANCESCA
 You've got to know deep down that the minute we leave here.
 It'll all change.

  ROBERT
 Yeah. It could get better.

  FRANCESCA
 No matter how much distance we put between us and this house, I bring
 with it with me. And I'll feel it every minute we're together. And
 I'll blame loving you for how much it hurts. And then even these
 four days won't be anything more than something sordid and...
 a mistake.

  ROBERT
  (desperately)
 Francesca, listen to me. You think what's happened to us
 happens to just anybody? What we feel for each other? 
How much we feel? We're not even two separate people
 anymore. Some people search their whole lives for it and
 wind up alone -- most people don't even think it exists 
 and you're going to tell me that giving it up is the right
 thing to do? That staying here alone in a marriage, alone
 in a town you hate, in a house you don't feel apart of
 anymore -- you're telling me that's the right thing to do!?

  FRANCESCA
 We are the choices we've made, Robert.

  ROBERT
  (rises)
 TO HELL WITH YOU!

He turns his back on her.

  FRANCESCA
 Robert. Please.
  (desperate to explain)
 You don't understand -- no one does. When a woman
 makes the choice to marry, to have children -- in one way
 her life begins but in another way it stops. You build a life
 of details. You become a mother, a wife and you stop and
 stay steady so that your children can move. And when
 they leave they take your life of details with them. And
 then you're expected move again only you don't
 remember what moves you because no one has asked in
 so long. Not even yourself. You never in your life think
 that love like this can happen to you.

  ROBERT
 But now that you have it -

  FRANCESCA
 I want to keep it forever. I want to love you the way I do
 now the rest of my life. Don't you understand -- we'll
 lose it if we leave. I can't make an entire life disappear to
 start a new one. All I can do is try to hold onto
 to both. Help me. Help me not lose loving you.

She embraces him. He wraps his arms around her. He whispers.

  ROBERT
 Don't leave me. Don't leave me alone.
 Please.

This breaks her heart, knowing how hard it is for him to say
this. She holds him tighter, until -

  ROBERT (cont'd)
 Listen. Maybe you feel this way, maybe you don't. Maybe it's just
 because you're in this house. Maybe ... maybe when they come back
 tomorrow you'll feel differently. Don't you think that's possible?

  FRANCESCA
 I don't know. Please...

  ROBERT
 I'm going to be here a few more days. I'll be at the Inn. We have some
 time. Let's not say any more now.

  FRANCESCA
 No. Don't do this.

  ROBERT
 I CAN'T SAY GOODBYE YET! We'll leave it for now. We're not
 saying goodbye. We're not making any decision. Maybe you'll
 change your mind. Maybe we'll accidentally run into each other
 and ... and you'll change your mind.

  FRANCESCA
 Robert, if that happens, you'll have to decide. I won't be able to.

She cries in his arms. He kisses her as if for the last time.
Then, quickly, separates himself and leaves the house.
 
 
FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 You all came home. And with you, my life of details.
 
FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 A day or two past and with each thought of him, a task would
 present itself like a life saver, pulling me further and further
 away from those four days. 
 INT. LIVING ROOM - EVENING

Francesca is reading. Richard watches TV.

  FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 I was grateful. I felt safe.
 
Francesca places a bag of groceries on the front seat of the
truck, then gets in herself to wait for Richard. She takes a
deep breath and removes a handkerchief from her bag to wipe
the sweat from her face. She freezes -

Through the windshield, she sees ROBERT standing beside his
truck across the street, staring at her. Her heart stops.
For a moment, she isn't even sure he's real.

The town moves about its business around them. But neither
notice or care. Whatever safety or forgetfulness she felt is
gone. Her feelings burst through. She sits there helpless
before him -- willing to go or stay depending on what he did.

He begins walking towards her. She prepares herself. Her life
will change -- it has to. There's not turning back.

But the closer Robert gets, the clearer he can see that she
is crying. And he stops.

Without any words, he realizes what taking her with him would
mean. With just a glance, he sacrifices her. With their eyes
locked in the middle of Main Street -- in front of the whole
town -- they smile and say goodbye.

Robert returns to his truck. He drives off down Main Street,
taking the first left.

Moments later, Richard throws the feed bag into the back of
his truck and gets in. Francesca is wiping her eyes.

He doesn't notice. He drives off in the same direction as
Robert.

  FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 For a moment, I didn't know where I
 was. And for a split second, the
 thought crossed my mind that he
 really didn't want me -- that it was
 easy to walk away. 
 
''Robert leaned over as if to get something from the
 glove box. 

''Eight days ago, he'd done that... 

''...and his arm had brushed across my leg. 

''A week ago l'd been in Des Moines, buying a new dress.'' 

That truck's a long way from home. 

Washington State. 

l'll bet it's that photographer they talked about at the cafe. 

What's he waiting for? 

Come on! 

''Oh, no. 

''The words were inside of me. 

''l was wrong, Robert. l was wrong to stay, but l
 can't go. 

''Let me tell you again why l can't go. 

''Tell me again why l should go. 

''l heard his voice coming back to me: 

''This kind of certainty comes but
 once in a lifetime.''  
 



 
MICHAEL
 "We became inseparable, Lucy and I.
 The funny thing is, I didn't tell her
 about Robert until years later. But,
 for some reason, being with her
 somehow made me feel it was safe to
 think about him. To continue loving
 him. The town loved talking about the
 two of us but we didn't care. And
 neither did your father. Which I
 thought was a lovely thing. I
 received Robert's letter and my
 photograph soon after. I always
 wondered if your father found them.
 I was never quite sure..."
 
FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 I almost told him. In that moment I
 felt as if I couldn't hold it back.
 If he really loved me maybe he'd
 understand.

She returns to her meal. The family eats in silence.

  FRANCESCA (cont'd; V.O.)
 But love won't obey our expectations.
 Its mystery is pure and absolute.
 What Robert and I had, could not
 continue if we were together. What
 Richard and I shared would vanish if
 we were apart. But how I wanted to
 share this. How would our lives have
 changed if I had? Could anyone else
 have seen the beauty of it? 
 
RICHARD
 Franny?

  FRANCESCA
 Hmm?

  RICHARD
 I just want to say... I know you had your own dreams. I'm
 sorry I couldn't give them to you. I love you so much.
 
 
ROBERT (V.O.)
 "There is a pleasure in the pathless
 woods... There is a rapture on the
 lonely shore... There is society
 where none intrudes... By the deep
 sea and music in its roar... I love
 not man the less, but Nature more...
 From these our interviews, in which
 I steal... From all I may be, or
 have been before... To mingle with the
 Universe and feel... What I can
 ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal."

The quote is Byron's. She smiles with pride as she cries.
 
FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 We were bound together as tightly as
 two people can be. If it hadn't been
 for him, I don't think I would have
 lasted on the farm all these years.
 Remember that dress of mine you
 wanted, Carolyn -- the one you said I
 never wore. Well, I know I was silly.
 But to me, it was as if you were
 asking to wear my wedding dress to go
 to the movies.

Carolyn smiles as she holds the dress before her.

INT. MOTEL - DAY

A tired Michael finds his way through the motel to his room.

  FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 After reading all this, I hope you
 can now understand my burial request.
 It was not the ravings of some mad
 old lady. I gave my life to my
 family. I wish to give Robert what
 is left of me. 
 
FRANCESCA (V.O.)
 "I love you both with all my heart.
 Do what you have to, to be happy in
 this life. There is so much beauty." 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment