Friday 19 July 2013

The Modern Mystic

The Modern Mystic


I become a modern mystic when I know that the source of self-nurturing comes from within. Discipline can be seen as arising out of awareness. Once I am willing to be conscious of the effect of my actions on both myself and those around me, I know that to hurt myself is to hurt another, and to hurt another is to hurt myself. This is how I can use my relationships to perceive the infinite. By allowing myself to feel truly connected to another person, I help to create a sort of dwelling place for the holy spirit. We carve out of the object-worship atmosphere of modern culture, a sacred space where, for a brief time, we contain and invite the presence of soul.

We create a space for soul.


O Lord, the veils of matter conceal Thee from me. How long wilt Thou remain invisible behind the lovely screens of lilies and roses, the clouds of burning gold, and the silent star-decked night? Though they hide Thee, I love them because they hint at Thy presence. Yet I yearn to see Thee as Thou truly art, Thy robes of creation laid aside.
Paramahanse Yogananda

No comments:

Post a Comment