Friday 26 July 2013

Genuine Health

Genuine Health


Today I do not see a life free of problems as a healthy life. Wanting my life to look and to be problem-free goes against what is natural and mobilizes my vanity in the struggle to hide anything that I consider "unpleasant." Problems that I hide don't go away. It is facing adversity and pain in the light of day, sharing it with others - breaking isolation and connecting with those around me - that promotes growth. When I want my day to be struggle-free, I stop the wheels of life from functioning. Problems are a part of living well and being alive.

If I have life, I will have problems.
The point that health is not so much the absence of disease as it is the presence of an optimal healing process is crucial for understanding our lives. It is crucial because the principle applies not only to our physical health but also to our mental health and to the health of our organizations and institutions. A healthy organization - whether a marriage, a family, or a business corporation - is not one with an absence of problems, but one that is actively and effectively addressing or healing its problems.
M. Scott Peck, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment