Saturday 20 July 2013

Admitting Fault

Admitting Fault


If I look at a problem that I am involved with from all angles, I may come to see that I am partially at fault for a miscommunication or a destructive dynamic. If this happens, I will need to have the strength of character to admit my own fault to myself rather than to blame another. After I get this far, I may see that a change in my behavior is necessary in order to set the situation in a more positive motion; it will improve my side of the dynamic.

I am willing to admit error.


Even if we recognize a conflict as such, we must be willing and able to renounce one of the two contradictory issues. But the capacity for clear and conscious renunciationis rare, because our feelings and beliefs are muddled, and perhaps because in the last analysis most people are not secure and happy enough to renounce anything. Finally, to make a decision presupposes the willingness and capacity to assume responsibility for it. This would include the risk of making a wrong decision and the willingness to bear the consequences without blaming others for them.
Karen Horney, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment