Wednesday 31 July 2013

Honesty

Honesty


Keeping secrets is a foolish attempt to stay safe from the truth. We tell ourselves we are sparing another person or protecting ourselves, but all too often the secrets that we keep actually keep us. What people need from me in order to make sense of me is the truth. When I withhold that truth, I withhold myself. I am creating distance that no one can cross because the way across the divide is the way of honesty. I cannot make something better by lying, and I cannot be fully understood if I won't give the benefit of the truth. I can live my life in a web of lies without ever uttering a falsehood. The web of lies is composed of not just what I say, but the vast amount of honesty that I withhold.
There is a difference between considerate honesty and aggressive frankness. Honesty recognizes the personhood of both people and is an act of trust; but too much frankness can border on mean.
I see honesty as an act of trust.
 
The weakness of a soul is proportionate to the number of truths that must be kept from it.
Eric Hoffer

No comments:

Post a Comment