Sunday 2 February 2014

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Today marks the 2nd Anniversary for this blog. It is also Groundhog Day. Sometimes I feel our love is like Groundhog Day; the same issues over and over and over again!...So Be It...Maktub?

Movie of the week: Vicky Cristina Barcelona

(Another Omen for me!...Ish'llah!)















What happened the other day...

  
- I don't want you to get the wrong idea.
- Oh, no, no, no.

  
- It's really none of my business.
- I'm not having an affair with Mark's partner.

  
I'm... I'm not.

  
No, I didn't think you were.

  
Mm, uh, not that
I haven't had fantasies

  
of someone coming along
and taking me out of my situation,

  
but the fantasies are not Jay Lewis...

  
even though he would like that, he would.

  
By "taking you out of your situation"...?

  
I haven't... I haven't been in love
with Mark for years.

  
I mean, I love him,
but I'm not in love with him.

  
I'm sorry to hear that.

  
It's funny, I just made...

  
I just made the same speech
to my shrink. Huh.

  
Well, what does your shrink say?

  
He says, um, that I'm
too frightened to act and that...

  
that I'm looking for some kind
of magical solution

  
which is unrealistic, and that I...

  
And an affair is not the answer.

  
And I don't... I'm sorry to be
laying all of this on you,

  
but I was so humiliated
when you saw us.

  
- Look...
- I'm just...

  
Look, you mustn't feel that you
have to explain yourself to me.

  
I mean...

  
Mark is great.

  
I'm sure any...

  
any dissatisfaction I have
is my own problem.

  
I'm just...

  
I can't leave him,
and I know that I never will.

  
Hmm, why not?

  
I just... I can't.

  
I'm too scared.

  
The moment's passed.
 
 
 
Juan Antonio:
Why not? Life is short. Life is dull. Life is full of pain. And this is a chance for something special.  
 
 
Juan Antonio:
Maria Elena used to say that only unfulfilled love can be romantic. 
 
Cristina:
I'll go to your room, but you'll have to seduce me. 
 
Juan Antonio:
We are meant for each other and not meant for each other. It's a contradiction. 
 
Cristina: [Looking at a sculpture of Jesus] Are you very religious?
Juan Antonio: No, no, no, no, I'm not. The trick is to enjoy life, accepting it has no meaning whatsoever.
Cristina: No meaning? You don't think that authentic love gives life meaning?
Juan Antonio: Yes, but love is so transient. Isn't it? I was in love with a most incredible woman... and then in the end...
Vicky: Yes?
Juan Antonio: She put a knife into me.
Cristina: My God, that's terrible!
Vicky: Well, maybe you did something to deserve it. 

Juan Antonio: American?
Cristina: I'm Cristina, and this is my friend Vicky.
Juan Antonio: What color are your eyes?
Cristina: Uh, they're blue.
Juan Antonio: Well, I'd like to invite you both to come with me to Oviedo.
Vicky: To come where?
Juan Antonio: To Oviedo. For the weekend. We leave in one hour.
Cristina: What- Where is Oviedo?
Juan Antonio: A very short flight.
Vicky: By plane?
Juan Antonio: Mmm-hmm.
Cristina: What's in Oviedo?
Juan Antonio: I go to see a sculpture, that is very inspiring to me. A very beautiful sculpture. You will love it.
Vicky: Oh, right. you're asking us to fly to Oviedo and back.
Juan Antonio: Mmmm. No, we'll spend the weekend. I mean, I'll show you around the city, and we'll eat well. We'll drink good wine. We'll make love.
Vicky: Yeah, who exactly is going to make love?
Juan Antonio: Hopefully, the three of us. 


Juan Antonio: Well, now that the day's almost over, is it reasonable of me to ask you if you'll both join me in my room?
Vicky: Oh, come on, I thought we'd settled that.
Cristina: Vicky's just trying to say that she's engaged to be married, that's all.
Juan Antonio: Great. Then these are her last days of freedom.
Vicky: No. Look, I'm not free. I'm committed. You know what my theory is? And when I drink, I get brutally frank. I think that you're still hurting from the failure of your marriage to Maria Elena, and you're trying to lose yourself in empty sex.
Juan Antonio: Empty sex? Do you have such a low opinion of yourself? 

Vicky: Oh, God, look, I wouldn't call our reluctance to leap at your sexual offer being over-analytical. If you would care to join us for some recognized form of social interaction, like a drink, then we'd be fine, but otherwise, I think you should try, you know, offering to some other table.
Juan Antonio: Mm-hm. What offended you about the offer? Surely not that I find you both beautiful and desirable.
Vicky: Offended me, no. It's very amusing, galling, to be honest, 


Juan Antonio: We were both sure that... our relation was perfect, but there was something missing. You know? Like, love requires such a perfect balance. It's... like the human body. It may turn that you have all the vitamins and minerals, but if... there is minus a single, tiny ingredient... missing, like, like, like, like, ooh, like salt, for example... one dies.
Cristina: Salt? 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment