Wednesday 28 August 2013

Unconscious Anger

Unconscious Anger


The kind of anger that I use as a hiding place is largely unconscious. Acting it out is simply another way to keep it unconscious or to not feel it. When I get triggered, I blame someone else; I see the other as responsible for my bitterness. My unconscious is saying, "You are of great significance because I depend upon you for my happiness, for my position or prestige. Through you I fulfill, so you are important to me; I must guard you, I must possess you. Through you I escape from myself; and when I am thrown back upon myself, being fearful of my own state, I become angry." Anger takes many forms - disappointment, resentment, bitterness, jealousy. When I project it mindlessly onto someone else, making it about them rather than me, I disown a piece of myself and I lose my potential to learn about how I really feel.
I am able to own my own anger.

We condemn others and that very condemnation is a justification of ourselves. Without some kind of attitude whether self righteous or self abasement, what are we?
Chogyan Trungpa

No comments:

Post a Comment