Thursday 22 August 2013

Getting Even

Getting Even


I come to points on my path toward soulfulness when I am faced with letting go of old resentment and hurt. One of the major blocks to moving beyond this pain is my desire for retribution. I want to make the person who hurt me suffer as I feel they made me suffer. Unfortunately, though, the hatred and resentment that I carry in my heart for another person is carried exactly there - in my heart. If I could truly place it on the other person without having to carry it within me, my retribution would be complete. But in getting back at them I also am getting back at myself; I am twice hurt, initially when they hurt me and now by carrying anger and rage for them within my very being. They continue in this way to have tremendous power over me.
I realize today that I am more powerful than my own resentment and more important than my wish to hurt. Just for today, I will act as if I let go of an old pain.
I let go.


The discovery of what is true and the practice of that which is good are the two most important objects of philosophy.
Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment