Monday 19 August 2013

Alone in the Presence of the Self

Alone in the Presence of the Self


When I do not allow myself the time to develop an inner relationship with my own soul, I leave myself open to countless maladies. I am alone in the presence of myself. Being alone in the presence of self is the worst kind of aloneness. There is something very disturbing about not being able to be comfortable with my own insides. The reason that a process of introspection is so vital on the road toward self is just this: when I sit quietly with myself, all the unfinished business, old hurts and unquenched longings begin to rumble around and make themselves felt to me. If I cannot sit through this process of feeling my painful feelings, sorting through them and resolving them, I really cannot sit with myself because sitting with myself is too painful. When I have sorted out the problem and learned methods of sitting with inner pain, I am able to sit through these feelings so that I can eventually get to serenity and self.

I am willing to sit with all of who I am.


Neurosis is the way of avoiding non-being by avoiding being.
Paul Tillich

No comments:

Post a Comment