Wednesday 27 November 2013

Belief

Belief

"Seek not to understand that you may believe, but believe that you may understand." - Saint Augustine

I tried to understand my alcoholic behavior only to come away more confused. My efforts to understand sometimes led to dishonesty and manipulation. I drank because I was lonely, angry, or overworked or because I had problems. I tried to understand why. Science has no definitive answer as to why some people are alcoholic other than to postulate the disease factor, with the emphasized advice "Don't pick up the first drink." Today I do not fully understand why I am an alcoholic. I know I can never drink alcohol without having alcohol problems. My belief keeps me sober and gives me a God I understand and a life I love!


Help me be content with the imperfection of my knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment