Friday 17 January 2014

Two Sips of Wine

Two Sips of Wine 


After ruminating on Eckhart at the dinner table, Reader Tanesha explains how she has found fulfillment and fuel for the transformation of consciousness. No longer in need of a reliance on multiple glasses of wine, she still lives the good life.
______________________________________________________________
There is something absolutely calming, fulfilling and gratifying about a glass of wine. It’s unique scent upon lifting the cork from the gracefully shaped bottle. The sound of the glug, glug, glug when the liquid fills the glass. And the unmistakable taste of a red wine’s effect on my lips and tongue. Aaaah! Such a wonderful form of life. Funny, it wasn’t always this way.

I remember the last “lash-out” episode involved my brother-in-law and myself discussing weather. Yes, weather. It could have been anything, it didn’t matter, I was identified with the ego and was having a pain-body attack. The pain-body had been fueled because I had drank too many glasses of wine… again. My fiancĂ© had witnessed our “discussion” and said to me, “you’re having a pain-body attack.” I immediately snapped out of it and realized I need to take a break from drinking during this awakening process.

Shortly after, I came upon a video in which a young Indian man talked about his encounter with Eckhart at a dinner table. The guests were instructed to take in the sensory experience of their first sip of wine. They all went through the motions (I’m assuming they swirled their drink, engulfed the scent, and sipped) and then the waiter went around and re-filled everyone’s drink. While the guests were talking, the young Indian man watched Eckhart take his second sip of wine. He noticed it was exactly like he was taking his very first sip again. The Indian man later approached Eckhart and asked why he did that. Eckhart replied, “it’s always the first sip.” Eureka!

I now incorporate this same practice during our weekly discussion with my friends about A New Earth. I introduced this method in our last meeting and instructed everyone to remain silent for one minute, taking in the sensory experience of the sounds of the restaurant, the visual objects and colors, the scents and feel of the room, and their breathing. If they can become aware of Presence, even better. During this minute, they should take two sips of wine, realizing that the second sip is always just a first sip. They loved it.

Now, when I dine, I find myself drinking only one glass at most because I’m aware of how fulfilled I am already in my belly. The very thing that was a problem became “fuel for the transformation of consciousness.” I put drinking wine on hold while I grew in Presence over the months, and then decided I was ready to leave the “greenhouse” and test my ability to stay present out in the world. It worked! Drinking wine has become such an enjoyable experience now… and the humor in it all, is that it has turned into a reminder to be present!

Aaaah, how sweet it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment