Friday 31 January 2014

Beating Myself and Others Up

Beating Myself and Others Up

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.-Ralph Waldo Emerson
I am only human, and only human is good enough for me
Today I will be less hard on myself. I will realize that the world isn't out to get me, I am not the center of everyone's universe, and most people are too busy thinking about themselves to want to spend their time focusing on me. Everyone makes mistakes, so what. I will let mine go, knowing I will make more, and will let those go, too. If I feel bad inside about something I did, I will be less critical of myself. I cannot change all at once. When I beat myself up on the inside, eventually I look for a culprit. I can't bear the feelings I am having, so I want to blame them on someone else. Do I feel my indiscretions are unforgivable? Why? Why do I go to such a self-blaming place? It's as if the child inside of me who felt bad gets warmed up and cannot get out of my own self-centeredness and breathe some fresh air. Just for today, I can allow myself to make mistakes and I can allow others to make them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment