Friday 13 December 2013

Love


Love

Once you have learned to love, you will have learned to live. -Unknown
Love is fascinating. It covers a myriad of feelings: joy, fear, anger, completeness, sadness, ecstasy. Love is life. Erich Fromm wrote an absorbing book called The Art of Loving. Basically what he said is that we need to learn to love; it does not come easily. It takes time, patience, and a willingness to see life and God differently. I used to believe that God not only loves the world but controls it and manipulates it. Now I realize that love is not about control and never about manipulation. When I was an active alcoholic, my mother said to me, "Leo, I love you enough to let you go." It was the beginning of my recovery. It was the beginning of a new understanding of love: tough love. My Say Yes to Your Spirit involves the complexities of love . . . and it feels good.

Today my love involves letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment