Tuesday 23 April 2013

Lasting Transformation

What We Can Control
We don’t always control the external circumstances of our lives – sometimes something happens unexpectedly.

The one thing we can control is whether or not we choose to react to it.

When we react, we check out. We’re no longer the one in charge of ourselves. We become the effect of whatever it is we are reacting to.

It takes a great deal of discipline to remain calm and steadfast in our certainty that everything is for the best, but the more we practice it, the greater we grow our peace within.
-----------------------------------------------------
 
The kabbalists teach our purpose in this world is to transform from a selfish being into a being of sharing. We do this inch by inch, and layer by layer, removing one aspect of our negativity after another to reveal the truth of our soul’s sharing nature.

Sometimes students ask me, “How do I know if I’ve truly transformed?”

It’s a good question because there is a big difference between a change in behavior and lasting transformation. You can restrict a selfish need, bad habit, or destructive tendency and consider yourself changed, but if you haven’t transformed the desire, you haven’t really evolved into a new being.

Normally, we think of our spiritual work as changing behaviors, but the truth is we need to change our desires.

Our soul’s only wish is to share. By focusing on how we can expand our capacity to care for others, we actually expand our soul’s desire, and then diminish our selfish ones.

Lasting transformation is when it no longer feels like restriction to resist those habits and tendencies that were once so tempting to us.

Identifying the areas we’ve simply made a change versus a true transformation can help guide us toward what we need to tackle next in our spiritual work.

When we have a true yearning to step outside of ourselves and help others, we can wave a final farewell to that negativity for good.
 
72 Name of the Week
Lamed Hey Pey
VICTORY OVERCOMING ADDICTIONS

I will liberate my soul from my addictions. I see myself restricting my negative behavior, stopping my addictions and selfish desires. I let it go as I embrace the Light and drop my old habits. As more power fills my soul, I watch the selfish impulses lift.

Through the Light, I am transforming. My soul is opening up, lighter, as I let go of the dependency. The only addiction I have is for the Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment