Tuesday 12 February 2013

Being Real


Being real with each other is not an easy thing to do in a society that honours keeping up appearances, yet it is an important part of walking a spiritual path. 

Through advertising, media and in many other ways, we are taught to be more concerned with how we appear or come across than how we really are. How often do people ask you how you’re doing, not really interested in listening to the answer? How many times do you answer, “Great!” flashing a big, unauthentic smile when in truth you’ve had a tough day, week, or even month? 

Even those of us involved in spirituality fall into this trap. We feel that we should be a certain way, and so we pretend to be that to the outside world. We feel the need to be perfect, submerging our faults. 

Living spiritually is being in a constant process of transformation, and in order to do that we need to be honest about our negativity, with others and ourselves. 

If we try to be all smiles and niceness on the outside, but have judgmental and negative thoughts on the inside, we’re just covering up the dirt by sweeping it under the rug. There is no transformation in that. Besides, the truth of our character can always be felt. 

We all have flaws. We all make mistakes. 

When we choose to expose ourselves, garbage and all, people know what they are getting and appreciate the courage it takes to be that open. Now they can relate to us, confide in us, be one with us. 

Being real is a great spiritual quality. It indicates someone with whom people can connect.

If we hide our negativity in the shadows, it will never see the Light. Being truthful about our garbage and exposing it to others exposes it to the Light.

72 Name of the Week

Yud Chet Vav
REVEALING THE DARK SIDE

As I concentrate on this sequence of letters, I ask the Light to illuminate my nature, to show me where I can make improvements in myself.

Reactive behavior, my ego, all negativity that might taint my soul – I want it out.

I will push it away and pay attention to the circumstances around me. I’ll spend each day spreading Light and joy in the world, sharing with those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment