Sunday 24 August 2014

An Open Book

WHEN IT'S ALL SAID AND DONE, I HOPE THAT MY LIFE'S STORY WILL ACCURATELY CONVEY THE MIRACLE AND HOPE OF MY RECOVERY.
Then I did the work in the program of deconstructing the falsehoods of my past, and I learned to tell the truth, without exaggeration, with a sincere desire to be helpful in the telling. I also learned how to honestly express my feelings: I learned they are just something I experience; they are not who I am.
Someone called me "an open book" the other day. I keep working to make sure it is one worth reading. I was so secretive in my addiction, and even in early sobriety, that I didn't know how to truthfully relate to anyone. I was constantly making up stories about where I had been, what I had done, and how I felt, and I told them over and over until I believed them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment